Taxes on Government Benefits – Unemployment, Social Security, Disability and More


Many government benefits are collected tax-free by the recipient. But that is not the case for everyone. Several of the most common government benefits demanded by many Americans – unemployment, social security, and disability – may be taxable depending on the circumstances. Understanding and tracking how much of your government benefits can be taxed is the key to eliminating unpleasant surprises when it’s time to file your taxes.

As with many things in the tax code, the first impression is that of complexity. But step by step it is possible to get a good approximation of how much is taxable.



Here are a few things to take into account if you have received unemployment benefits in the last year.

1. Unemployment benefits are taxable

Congress started in 1979 with a partial tax on unemployment and subdivided all unemployment benefits to federal taxes in 1987. Government spending on unemployment was not taxed from 1938 until the change in 1979.

In 2009, thanks to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the first $ 2,400 in unemployment benefits were exempt from federal tax. However, this benefit lasted only one year and since 2010 all unemployment benefits are taxable as normal income. At the end of the year you will receive form 1099-G with the amount of benefits that you have received that you must state on your tax return.

2. Opt for voluntary taxation

You can avoid a large tax bill at the end of the year by completing Form W-4V. This form is a voluntary request for tax withholding. In addition, the federal government deducts 10% of your unemployment compensation, just as a regular employer would.

You can also request that federal income tax be withheld from your social security benefits, social security equivalent Tier 1 railway retirement benefits, Commodity Credit Corporation loans, or certain crop disaster payments under the 1949 Agricultural Act or under Title II of the 1988 Disaster Assistance Act. In these cases, you can choose for a deduction of 7%, 10%, 15% or 25%.

Unemployment benefits are usually less than you would normally receive in wages, and that can create a false sense of security about how much tax you may owe. But if you are unemployed for a long time, unemployment income increases. It is advisable to keep taxes that have been deducted from your unemployment. Complete the W-4V form and send it to the office that handles your unemployment benefits. For unemployment benefits, 10% is the only amount that you can withhold.

3. Receive factor in extra money

Any termination benefits or money that you received from unused sick days or vacation time is also considered a taxable income. More importantly, your employer may not have withheld these amounts. It is another reason to choose to withhold your unemployment, or to make estimated tax payments.

Social Security

 Social Security

It is not at all unusual for people receiving social security payments to have other sources of income, such as a pension or annuity, a part-time job, investment income, or, for semiretrics, a small business. The effect of this extra income may be that some of your social security benefits are taxable.

According to the IRS, it is unlikely that you are liable to pay tax if social security is your only income. However, if you received other income during the year, some of your social security benefits may be taxable. Here you can read how you can estimate which part of social security is taxable.

1. Determine your “basic rate”

The basic rate for your storage status helps determine which part of your social security contributions is taxable. The basic rates for the 2017 tax year are as follows:

  • $ 32,000 for married couples filing a joint Pantone
  • $ 25,000 for single files, head of household, or eligible widow / widower with a dependent child, or if you are married and filed separately but did not live with your spouse during the year
  • $ 0 for married persons who submit separately and live together at any time of the year

2. Do the math

If your “combined income” is more than the basic rate for your archiving status, part of your social security is taxable, but not more than 85% of your benefits. The Social Security Administration suggests this formula for finding your “combined income”:

  • Your adjusted gross income (without social benefits)
  • + Non-attributable interest
  • + 1/2 of your social security benefits

If the total is less than your base rate for your archiving status, your social security benefits are not taxable. If the total exceeds your base rate, some benefits are taxable. The exact amount depends on your specific tax situation.

Consider, for example, this scenario for Claudia and Devon, who are submitting joint Pantone movie amounts. Both receive social benefits. Claudia received $ 9,000 in social security benefits, while Devon received $ 20,000. Their investments produce an income of $ 8,000 plus $ 500 in tax-free interest, and Devon has a pension that paid him $ 14,000.

According to the SSA formula:

  • AGI = 14,000 + 8,000 = $ 22,000
  • Non-attributable interest = $ 500
  • 1/2 SS benefits = ($ 9,000 + $ 20,000) / 2 = $ 14,500
  • Combined income = $ 22,000 + $ 500 + $ 14,500 = $ 37,000

Since a married couple is submitting an application to Pantaloonijk, their base rate is $ 32,000. Since the total, $ 37,000, is higher than that amount, some of their benefits are taxable.

Note that when calculating “combined income” (called “provisional income” by some commentators), tax-free interest is added. Tax-exempt interest often comes from municipal bonds. Although the interest is not taxed on the federal declaration, it may increase the amount of your social security benefits that are taxable. That is sometimes an unexpected side effect of tax-free income.

3. Tax restrictions for social security

You can never be taxed on more than 85% of your social security benefits. Another way to say it is that 15% of your social security benefits are tax-free. To calculate exactly how much tax you can expect to pay, complete worksheet 1 in IRS publication 915.

  • Individuals : if your total combined income (as shown in worksheet 1) is between $ 25,000 and $ 34,000, you generally pay income tax up to a maximum of 50% of your social security benefits. If your total combined income exceeds $ 34,000, you may have to pay tax up to 85% of your social security benefits.
  • Couples filing a complaint together : If your total combined income (as shown in worksheet 1) is between $ 32,000 and $ 44,000, you generally pay income tax up to a maximum of 50% of your social security benefits. If your total combined income exceeds $ 44,000, you may have to pay tax up to 85% of your social security benefits.
  • Married couples who put together separately (also together) : you must probably pay Pantone tax on your social security benefits, no matter what.



Disability benefits can cause confusion during the tax period. If you get a disability through the federal government, you must use the same rules as those for social security to determine if they are taxable. However, if you participated in a disability insurance policy through your employer, you may be taxed on the proceeds.

Premiums versus payouts

The fundamental distinction with the taxability of disability insurance is whether the payments were made by your employer or by you. If your employer has provided you with occupational disability insurance as an additional benefit without costs, the invalidity benefits you receive are taxable. However, if you purchased disability insurance and paid the premiums, the benefits you receive are not taxable income for you.

Help that is never taxed

 Help that is never taxed

There are many types of government benefits that are never taxed. You should not include amounts for assistance in these categories in your income for tax purposes:

  • Welfare or other government support based on need
  • Work training payments, as long as they do not exceed what you would have received in social assistance benefits
  • Food stamps or other nutritional support programs, such as help for the elderly or programs for women, toddlers and children
  • Handicap rehabilitation training and assistance because of your handicap, such as transport
  • Disasters during disasters, disaster relief or disaster mitigation
  • Mortgage assistance programs
  • Replacement housing payments or deposit payments
  • Winter energy bill reductions
  • Medicare share A or B benefits
  • Benefits for veterans, such as medical care, invalidity benefits, education or death tips
  • Compensation allowances for employees if they are paid under an employee compensation scheme

Last word

 Last word

If you are the recipient of government benefits, you would do well to determine which are taxable and which are not. Although the amount of information regarding the taxability of government benefits may seem overwhelming, it would be a good idea to inform yourself about the subject. Come tax time, you don’t want to suddenly discover that you have a large tax bill.

More importantly, you do not want to fail to declare certain taxable disability income, and have your return checked for that omission (and get an even larger tax bill due to penalties and interest).

Did you receive government benefits this year?



Gift Cards 101: How to buy, sell and redeem different types of gift cards

Gift cards, both debit cards and store-specific cards, have become popular for birthdays, graduations and all other ‘gift-giving’ occasions. They offer a convenient way to personalize an individual gift, while the recipient can still choose what he or she likes


4 things that always increase in price

Wages, house prices and the stock market have all been falling in recent years. The American consumer sees the US dollar buying much less than ten years ago. At a time in our economy where asset prices seem to be falling, there are a few things that just keep on rising in price